Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Tell me the story of how you ended up here"

Cold War Kids 'Hospital Beds'

6.14.2008 9.34pm
Vision Quest started today, 10 of us were going to the Eastern Region so we all piled into a PC van and got dropped of in Medina. From there we took a tro to Koforidua; the ride was gorgeous. I couldn't believe the other trainees were sleeping and missing the views. We went up through the mountains and saw some mud villages. At Kofo we stopped to meet up with the other PCVs that the trainees were vision questing with. I got to try fufu for the first time, cassava pounded into a doughy ball and served with soup. It was ok, but it was a lot of food and I couldn't finish it. I bought my first 2 yard (2 yards of cloth) and I'm using it as a towel since they are much lighter and dry quicker.

Ernest's site is really nice, it's more urban and it has an amazing view. His house is kind of small but you don't really need a lot of space as a PCV. He doesn't have running water, so his latrine and bathing place is in a separate building. There were lizards running all over the place, but I don't mind those. The cock roaches in the latrine were kind of scary though. It was storming so we stayed in until we ventured out for dinner. We talked about his PC experience; he's getting ready to finish up his 2 years in August. The power went out so I wrote and read a little by candle light.

For dinner we went down the street and bought some jollof (I'm not sure how to spell a lot of the food here) which is rice and a spicy red sauce. It's served, like everything else, in a plastic bag and it was pretty good. If all else fails I know I'll have rice to fall back on.

No comments: