Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"I had that dream again where I was lost for good in outerspace"

Jack's Mannequin 'Kill the Messenger'

6.15.2008 6.26am
I think the side effects of mefloquine are setting in...strange dreams
It's fathers day but I don't have any way of getting a hold of my dad. So Happy Fathers Day!
Last night was my first real night of PC sleep, where we stayed before wasn't realistic for what I should expect. Last night everything felt a little damp because it's rainy season and it had been storming. Four or five times throughout the night, what seemed like every dog in town, started barking and howling. At about 5 the rooster started up and 530 I could hear the courtyard being swept. Overall though it was a pretty good night's sleep, I woke up a lot but I fell right back asleep every time. I'm excited to get my own place and settle in. I'm going to try to get my phone unlocked on Wednesday but I don't know if it will work. I have to pee but the roaches in the toilet are scary.

6.46pm
Today for breakfast Ernest tried to make me try some stuff he hated, but I ended up liking it. It's a fermented corn porridge type thing with a lot of ginger, so it's kind of spicy and it's served hot and sweetened. It's called something cocoa, so the name is a little misleading. We ate it with some tea bread, which is just plain white bread. I wouldn't want it every morning but it was pretty good.

We went to see another PCV and his vision quester, Travis and Brian. Travis's place is a lot bigger than Ernest's; 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, a big balcony, and the whole roof. The only bad part is it's the 3 floor and he doesn't have running water, so in order to get water he has to carry it upstairs or pay someone to do it. Nine of us chartered a tro to go see the waterfalls. One of the PCVs used her fierce bartering skills and managed to get the driver to agree to wait for us. All the Ghanaians laughed at the white girl arguing with the driver.

The falls were pretty nice, kinda small but still worth going to see. We ran into a couple of tourists (you could tell by the short shorts and spaghetti strap tanks). We let them hitch a ride on our tro on the way back. For lunch we stopped in Ernest's town and got some waakye (wa-chee), which is rice and beans I think. We rode with another PCV and vision quester, Caroline and Roxanne, to Caroline's place. She has a really nice place, running water and electricity. She made us real coffee which is a treat here because they only have instant.

Back at Ernest's site we had fufu for dinner and it was a lot better than what I had before. I'm still learning how to eat soup with my hand and not make a complete mess. There was a wedding going on outside so there was loud music and lots of dancing Ghanaians.

No comments: