Tuesday, June 17, 2008

'Over the sea and far away'

KT Tunstall 'Other Side of the World'

6.10.2008 5.50pm Ghana time
This is a couple days of journal entries condensed in to one.

Sunday was a long day of staging, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was the Philly pride parade so we got to watch a little of it when we were at lunch. We had dinner at a nice sushi place as our "last meal." It was pretty pricey but it was worth it. Most of us seem to be getting along really well, we have a lot in common with each other. I thought that staging would be a waste of time but it's really nice to get to know some people before setting off for Africa, it makes it a lot less scary. I haven't been nervous of anxious yet, but I'm sure that will come.

I got up early on Monday to get some alone time since I won't be getting much of that any time soon. I went to the starbucks around the corner and had some coffee. I got my yellow fever shot today and my malaria medicine. I'm not sure why we didn't start that sooner, we're going to be in Ghana tomorrow. A few of us ran over the 'the country's oldest candy store' before hopping on the bus to the airport. We stocked up on all kinds of good stuff.

The first flight, the one to Amsterdam, was not very fun. It was a crowded plane and the flight attendants were pretty nasty. Plus it was the over night flight so everyone was tired. I didn't get to sleep much because the sun came up at 2am. But it's better that way because I adjusted to the time difference pretty easily.

The second flight to Accra is really nice, we all have our own tvs with on demand movies and tv shows. The flight attendants are much nicer too. We're about 45 minutes from Accra and it still hasn't set in that we're almost in Africa...

No comments: